Improve your CSAT with Proactive Campaigns
Sometimes Support Teams struggle to properly notify or communicate with all of their users. Starting today, Helpshift is making it easier to communicate with your users with our Proactive Campaigns product.
With Proactive Campaigns, you can send targeted Push Notifications and rich In-app Messages to all of your mobile users. In our most recent update, we’ve incorporated Support-related filters, such as Issue status, Tags, CSAT Rating, etc, so you outbound message your users who have reached out to you via your app.
There’s many ways you can use Proactive Campaigns to engage with your users, especially from a Customer Support or Care perspective. However, we’re going to focus on a couple use cases that can improve your overall customer satisfaction.
How can I use Proactive Campaigns?
- Alert users when bugs have been fixed
- Tell your users who wanted a feature request that it’s been shipped
- Send compensation for negative CSAT or experience with Support Agents
- Ask for app review, feedback, or surveys from your loyal users
1) Notify Users for Bug Fix
One of the main reasons users write into support is because of a bug/crash they are experiencing in the app. Sometimes bugs take a while to fix and it can be difficult to easily let users know that their reported bugs have been fixed.
Wouldn’t it be helpful if there was any easy way to notify just those users who reported the crash that it’s finally fixed? Right now, you might do this in your Release Notes, but let’s be honest–the majority of your users don’t read those Release Notes
So how do we do this in Proactive Campaigns?
In our Segmentation section, we are going to create a list of users who wrote in about the Facebook bug that occurred on various devices and versions. As good practice, the Support Team has tagged Issues related to these bugs with “bug” and “fbsync.”
The latest app version for iOS (2.5.0) and Android (2.3.1) fix these problems, and these versions shipped to the App Store and Play Store on September 10, 2016.
Based on the above information, here is what our Segmentation will look like:
- App Version is none of will return all users who don’t have the latest version (the fixed one)
- Issue Created before Sept 12, 2016 makes sure that I’m reaching out to users who wrote in before the latest version was available for download
- Tags is equal to Crash AND Tags is equal to fbsync will give me all submitted Issues that have the Crash Tag and fbsync Tag.
The notification content would read: “We fixed that Facebook bug in the latest version. Tap below to upgrade the app now. Thank you for your patience ?”
You can also remind users on the latest versions (2.5, 2.3.1) that the bug has been fixed and to confirm that they are no longer experiencing this Facebook bug. To do this, you would change the App Version filter to be is one of instead of is none of and keep those two App Version values.
2) Feature Request Implemented
Besides bugs and crashes, your users are always giving you feedback and feature requests. New product features take time to plan so it could be a while until the feature actually ships. Your Agents have higher priority things to do than follow up with those users individually as progress is made on any new feature requests or feedback.
Those loyal users who submit feature request would be very happy to know that their feature request has been shipped. Maybe you had over 200 requests to integrate a “multi-select” option in your app? These requests might have been originally submitted back in May 2016, but it took you a few months to build the new feature.
We can easily notify these users with Proactive Campaigns, which eliminates the time-consuming tasks of your Agents doing individual follow-ups to those 200+ users.
On September 10, 2016, you ship a new version to the App Store and Play Store that introduces the “multi-select” feature. You can send them a “thank you” Campaign Message by creating a segmentation below:
- Issue Created is before Sept 10, 2016 will return all users submitted this feature request before the App Update
- Tags is equal to feedback AND Tags is equal to multiselect will give me all submitted Issues that have the feedback Tag and multiselect Tag.
The notification content would read: “We shipped a multi-select feature in our latest update. We ? your feedback. Keep it coming!”
3) Send Compensation to Users with Negative CSAT
With Helpshift’s in-app CSAT scores (0-5 stars), you’re able to measure the quality of your Agents and your users’ satisfaction. With Proactive Campaigns, you can automatically send notifications and other rich content to your users who have a negative experience with your Support Team. If users rate a one-star, then you can send out a coupon or discount code.
With Helpshift’s advanced Segmentation, we can target isolated “bad experiences” to only address those with Proactive Campaign. This is important as you want to make sure you let those users know how much you care and how sorry you are for the rare poor interaction with the Support Team.
Here’s how we are able to just target the most recent poor experience for a user who has written in before and tends to give above average CSAT ratings. We’ll look at 3 months of interactions for this example:
- Issue Created is between July 1, 2016 and Sept 30, 2016 will show all Issues created during that time span
- Average CSAT Rating is greater than 4.0 will show users who have really great experiences with the Support Agents
- Issue Count is greater than 3 will make sure that users who communicate with support often (you can modify this number depending on your Contact Rate)
- Last CSAT Rating is at most 2 will find users who’s last interaction with Support rated the in-app CSAT to be either 0, 1, or 2
- Last CSAT Rating is not equal to 0 will make sure I’m not including users who decline the CSAT rating (A CSAT rating of 0 means opted out of CSAT)
The notification content would read: “We’re really sorry you had a bad exp with our Support Agent. We hope you give us a 2nd chance. Here’s $5 for you”
4) Make a Request to Your Loyal Users
Often you’ll want to engage with your most loyal users. They are already committed to your brand or business, but you want them to help you make a better product.
Some use cases for reaching out to these types of users:
- Ask for Beta testers based on their usage and feedback levels
- Request them to review the app in the App or Play Store
- Send out feedback survey links
The content for the three use cases above will vary depending upon your strategy, but the Segmentation values will be the same.
Note: Before this Segmentation can be done, it’s crucial that you have user type HS-Tags that measure their experience with your app. That may be things related to spend (Paid, VIP) or engagement (Power User, Veteran). For more check out this guide on setting up HS-Tags.
The loyal users are the ones who write in frequently, give above average CSAT ratings, identified with high spend/engagement, and open the app multiple times in a week.
Here’s what our Segmentation will look like:
- Last Used Date is within 2 days will get users who recently used the app (within last 48 hours)
- Total Sessions Count is greater than 180 makes sure users are opening the app quite a bit since Install Date (below)
- Install Date is before July 1, 2016 collects the users who have had the app installed for a while (at least 3 months)
- Issue Created is after July 1, 2016 makes sure that these users have submitted Issues within the last 3 months
- Issue Tags is one of vip, whale, paid, poweruser, loyal, veteran makes sure I’m targeting any of these Tags that I have setup to identify my loyal users who write in.
- Pro Tip: You can search for Tags or use the “Import” function if you have a CSV of Tags you want to use.
- Issue Count is at least 4 makes sure that these users have written in a few times in the past 3 months (good indicator of vocal users)
- Average CSAT Rating is at least 4 makes sure I’m reaching out to ones who have had positive experiences with the product and Support Team
How do I get started?
If you already have Campaigns, you can get started today creating this support-centric Proactive Campaigns.
If you are interested in Campaigns, please send us a note to “firstname.lastname@example.org”. We will coordinate a call with you and our Product Specialist.
If you need a refresher on Proactive Campaigns, here is an overview video.